Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My first post and thoughts on the Second Amendment

To start off the new year I decided to write a blog. I haven't decided if my post will be weekly or monthly. I find that it's better not to commit to anything unless you plan to follow through. For now, baby steps. I also didn't advertise to anyone that I was going to start writing this blog. I think it's better to take action rather than just talking about it.

In case anyone bothers to read this blog, I have a few caveats. One, I will do my best to maintain an acceptable level of grammar. As far as spelling goes...well if spell check can't bail me out I don't know what to tell you. Anyway, if you're the type that gets driven crazy by imperfect grammar please do us both a favor and stop reading. It's not my intention to drive you bananas. Two, these are my opinions and thoughts. Some opinions will be based on fact and most will be based on feeling and bias. The point is that they are just my opinions. There is a risk that you may get offended but again that is not my intention. This is just my vehicle to vent and not impose my thoughts in an other medium, like say...Facebook. So if you are sensitive to differing opinions I apologize in advance and you are free to click out of this blog at any time.

That said let's get started. Let's talk about the Constitution of the United States of America for a moment. I, like some of my family and friends, served in the US Armed Forces. We took an oath, during our service, to protect the Constitution from enemies, foreign and domestic. I willingly took the oath then, and still believe in it now. I think that aside from the American spirit, this document is the cornerstone of our greatness as a country.

That said, as a nation, I think we get caught up on what our rights are, and immediately take positions to defend those rights without much thought. This brings me to the Second Amendment which protects our right to keep and bear arms. I believe in this right and genuinely support it however I also believe that just because you have a right it should not allow you to lose your common sense. Just because you can own a 50 caliber machine gun, does it mean you should? Is it really necessary to own an assault rifle  just because your rights allows you to? Gun advocates say that guns don't kill people, that people do. So then what's the difference between a 22 caliber hand gun vs a high caliber assault rifle? At the end of the day just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean you should. Sometimes you need to stop, think, and just be smart.


No comments:

Post a Comment